Understanding Motorhome rental

Motorhome Insurance

Motorhome Insurance

Motorhome rental can be a confusing topic. Different companies offer varying levels of cover at different prices. Choosing which policy and company to go with can be difficult but it is worth spending some time researching the best policies before you make your decision. Thorough research can save you money in the long run and give you one less thing to worry about.

Level of cover

If you have decided to go on holiday in Europe and want to rent a motor home whilst doing so then there are a few things to think about before you make any decisions. First of all, it is worth bearing in mind that most rental companies offer a baseline level of insurance.  This is usually third party liability and includes cover against fire and theft.

You may even get a collision damage waiver (CDW), which will cover against some forms of damage that may happen to your vehicle. A CDW is very useful as it allows you to claim some of the money back that you may have paid in excess as a result of damage to the hire car you are driving. It must be remembered that whilst a CDW is a good thing to have it may only cover you for damage to certain aspects of the hire vehicle. You should check exactly what it covers before making any decisions.

Terms and conditions

All insurance policies have certain terms and conditions attached to them and it is worth you making yourself aware of these. Depending on the size of the car hire company, the insurance policy offered may be different.

The basic motorhome insurance policy that comes with the hire vehicle may be somewhat limited in what it offers the customer. You will often have to pay some form of excess in the event that you do cause damage. However rental excess insurance can mean that you may be entitled to claim back some of the excess you pay as a result of damage to a vehicle that you are driving.

Always make yourself aware of the excess that you will be forced to pay in the event of damage to your hire vehicle.  If you are not willing to pay high excess costs then you should opt for a suitable policy.

Check what you insurance covers you against as well. Some policies may not cover you against damage to items that are expensive to repair or replace which may include windows, tyres and even the roof.